EHEMALIGE SYNAGOGE ZELL
The Jewish community in Zell was founded in 1849 through the acquisition of a prayer room in the Castle Zell. The community also included the neighboring villages of Zeller Hamm: Pünderich, Briedel, Merl, Bullay, Alf and Bad Bertrich.
In 1925 the community had eighty members, their family heads were merchants, watchmakers, cloth merchants, innkeepers, butchers, tailors
and wine merchants.
Until about 1935, they practiced their professions undisturbed, the families lived in peace. After the harassment began a majority of Jews succeeded to emigrate, mainly in the USA, Palestine, South America and South Africa.
As of 1940, the Nazis began the deportation of the remaining Jewish population. Men, women and children were taken to the ghettos of the larger cities (Trier, Koblenz, Cologne), to be send from there to the extermination camps in the East.
In the period 1936-1943 34 members of the Jewish community Zeller lost their lives through the tyranny of the Nazis.
In the years following the Shoah, it is above all the Piacenza family who preserve the heritage and the memory of the Jewish community. It is their effort as well to create a space of remembrance in the Museum of the City of Zell. There, all families of the former Jewish community are documented with pedigrees, documents, newspaper documents, photos and cult objects of private use. Similarly, the history of the Zeller synagogue community is vividly illustrated, as well as text panels inform about the specifics of each place in the Zeller Hamm.
All members of the community, especially the victims of the Holocaust, are given a lasting memory through a cloth or a plaque.
The cemetery of the Jewish community Zell is located 4 km downstream from Zell in Bullay (Nispelter Kehr). 1895 the community bought the 1,306 square meter parcel in the middle of the vineyards. Originally the cemetery belonged to the Jewish community Merl. Even before the founding of the Jewish community in Zell, Zeller Jews buried their dead here. On this common cemetery also the dead of Bremm, Alf, Bullay, Merl, Zell, Briedel and Bad Bert Rich found their last resting. More than 50 grave stones have remained, some still in good readable condition, the younger in German. The oldest grave stone dated 1831, the Hebrew inscription is about a member of the Zeller family Sontheimer. The youngest stone marks the grave of Johanna Wolf from Merl, 1937.
The Jewish cemetery was desecrated twice in its eventful history, in 1941 by the SA and in 1946 by former Nazis.
Today the cemetery is the property of the Jewish community Koblenz and since 1995 a historical monument.
The Zeller community existed for nearly 90 years. It ended on 10 November 1938, the Progromnight.