The Synagogue community of Zell was founded in 1849 by the purchase of a prayer room in the Zell castle and also included the neighbouring villages in the Zell Hamm: Pünderich, Briedel, Merl, Bullay, Alf and Bad Bertrich.
In 1925 the community had a total of eighty members, whose heads of family were merchants, watchmakers, cloth merchants, innkeepers, butchers, tailors and wine merchants by profession.
Until about 1935 they practised their professions undisturbed, the families lived in peace. Then the harassment began and the majority of the Jews succeeded in emigrating, mainly to the USA, Palestine, South America and South Africa.
From 1940 the Nazis began to deport the remaining Jewish population. Men, women and children were taken to the ghettos of the larger cities (Trier, Koblenz, Cologne), from where they were sent to the extermination camps of the East.
Between 1936 and 1943, 34 members of the Zeller synagogue community lost their lives in the Nazi tyranny.
In the years following the Shoah, it is above all the Piacenza family who preserve the heritage of the Jewish community and the memory of it. A room of remembrance in the Museum of the City of Zell is also thanks to their efforts. There all families of the former Jewish community are documented with family trees, certificates, newspaper documents, photos and cult objects for private use. The history of the Zell synagogue community is also vividly presented, with text panels providing information about the special features of the individual places in the Zeller Hamm. All members of the community, especially the victims of the Holocaust, are given a lasting remembrance through a cloth or a memorial plaque.
The cemetery of the synagogue community Zell is located 4 km downstream from Zell in Bullay (Nispelter Kehr). In 1895 the community bought the 1306 m² plot of land in the middle of the vineyards. Originally the cemetery belonged to the Jewish community of Merl. Even before the synagogue community of Zell was founded, the Jews of Zell buried their deceased here. Also the deceased of the neighbouring villages Bremm, Alf, Bullay, Merl, Zell, Briedel and
Bad Bertrich found their last rest here. More than 50 gravestones, the younger ones with German inscriptions, have been preserved, some of them still in good readable condition. The oldest preserved gravestone dates back to 1831 and the Hebrew inscription names a member of the Zell family Sontheimer.
The youngest stone designates the grave of Johanna Wolf from Merl, 1937.
The Jewish Cemetery was desecrated twice in its eventful history, in 1941 by the SA and in 1946 by Altnazis.
Today the cemetery is owned by the Jewish Community of Koblenz and has been a listed building since 1995.
The Zeller community existed for almost 90 years. It ended on 10 November 1938 by the night of the pogrom.